Sunday, January 4, 2009

5 reasons my parents can tell my kids what's up

Yesterday my mom and I were hanging out in my bathroom petting my kittens (they are kind of quarantined in there for multiple rounds of 'quiet time' throughout the day) and she looked at me with this worried look and wanted to apologize for any non-specific time that she might have interfered with my parenting by butting in and telling my kids how it is. Oh mom! I know it is important to create healthy boundaries and mutual lines of respect....with that said....it turns out I am super excited that my children's grandparents put their two cents in. This is for a number of reasons...I will list them, 1). the grandparents have been around the block more than me and did a great job so why stop a good thing 2). how can I teach my kids to respect their elders if I don't? 3). I didn't grow up with grandparents but my husband did (they put their two cents in all the time) and he respects the hell out of them and they helped make him a better person 4). I think America is one of the predominate countries that doesn't understand the importance of extended families and actually disrespects the elderly in many ways including isolating them from their own families 5). it takes a village to raise a child

No comments:

Post a Comment